Friday 2 November 2007

Strange quirks at the gym




I've been going to quite a few exercise classes at the gym-- something new for me because I usually workout alone. There are a few features of these classes that always make me laugh. First, there is a great deal of communal groaning and moaning and squealing.... I'm used to being in a serious workout environment where you suffer in silence. Not here. One sit-up too many, and the women are giggling and groaning and crying out for mercy. Sometimes it makes me laugh and I'm relieved to know other people are also suffering. Other times I want to tell them to shut up because it slows the class down and the instructor ends up chatting to them for 5 minutes... This type of group commentary is just one example of the way that Egyptian society is much more vocal and communal than you'd find in the US or UK. It's what makes everyone so friendly - and so interfering!!

Another strange phenomenum is the fact that a number of women wear bin bags (yes, bin bags) under their trendy adidas/ nike sports gear. They rustle through the whole class. And, by the end, there is a line of sweat on the women's trousers where the bin bags end. I guess these women think they are losing weight. I can just see that they are getting sweaty and dehydrated. And I can't help but imagine that they are wearing giant industrial nappies under their clothes... not a sexy image.

No comments: