Thursday 8 November 2007

"Manifesto of a Veiled Woman"

At the “women in cyberspace” conference that I went to at AU on Monday night, Mona Eltahawy’s young sister told a wonderful story about the preconceptions that surround women who choose to wear the veil. Mona’s sister (whose name I didn’t catch – I will call her Laura, because that’s my sister’s name!) has decided to wear the hijab. She stated that veiled women in Egypt walk a tight line: the fundamentalists don’t like these women (they aren’t covered enough) and the liberals want to save every one of them. Laura described how, one day at college, she wanted to fill in a questionnaire on the topic of beauty. So she asked for a copy of the questionnaire and was told that veiled women were not allowed to fill it out. This led Laura to use her facebook account to vent her frustration. On facebook, she published her “manifesto of the veiled woman.” This manifesto included statements such as 1) I have sexual desires like any other woman/person; 2) I care about beauty. Laura said that she was sick and tired of being viewed as a vegetable.
Before long, she received a message from an Egyptian man who clearly could not cope with this open expression of sexual desire. Egyptian man told Laura that she was “a danger to society.” Egyptian men, he declared, did not want to marry women like this so Laura would have to (quote) “turn to homos.” Laura promptly blocked this charming man from her facebook account. But she made a final telling remark: cyberspace provided her with a relatively safe space to express her desires and individuality. And she was able quite easily to block the Egyptian man who took such offense. But if she had stood at a street corner and declared such beliefs, would she have been so safe?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi this is Nora - or should I say Laura?! - Mona's sister. Mona passed on the kind words and the link to your blog, so I thought I'd thank you personally!

Also, you give my attacker on Facebook way too much credit as far as his grammar is concerned. The exact quote was "turn to homo"!

Rebecca said...

ha ha! I shouldn't give that guy any credit... so sorry for making him sound more intelligent than he clearly is...!
The name "Nora" must have triggered "Laura" in my mind... (plus the whole sister thing.) Given how terrible I am with names, I almost got it right!
Well, Nora, I loved hearing your story on Monday - I was impressed by your humour and eloquence. You and your sister were very entertaining. Best wishes - and good luck pushing your manifesto!