Saturday 3 November 2007

Female Sexuality Part II


I have continued to read about the topic of "women's sexuality" since my posting a few days ago. Of course, I've thought about this issue at length before: my Ph.D. was on how the women who fought for the vote in Britain negotiated their public/ private identities in their autobiographical writings. Their sexuality inevitably played critical roles in this negotiation.

But, as I mentioned in my "Female Sexuality Part I" posting, living in Egypt has made me look again at the power of my sexuality and the strange dynamics that exist between men and women. I liked one particular blog posting that I read today and I wanted to share the (male, Christian) author's views:

"Faced with the power that women have over men, a power men have had to control through de-humanization, social and economic control, sexual exploitation and physical violence, and the rhetoric of innate sexual difference, many men end up, in the end, a quivering puddle on the floor, terrified that a strong woman will discover and make public what has been heretofore a secret even to these men themselves (except perhaps in their darkest thoughts they dare not express) - these men just don't cut it [I don't totally agree that men 'don't cut it'...]. A sexually, socially, economically liberated woman is a threat on many levels. It is my contention, however, that the most elemental threat is the sexual element. There are various social and economic controls that still exist to limit the social and economic power of women. A woman who is sexually free, however, threatens men's view of themselves at its most basic level. [also unsure about this point....]
You might be wondering about the whole "Christian" element I spoke of above. It is my contention that all that I have written has been written from a perspective that views women as equal creatures before God, created with power and vulnerability, part of which is sexual. Unless we want to deny that sex is a good gift from a good God (as my other told me, "If God made anything better than sex, He kept it to Himself"; there is no better theology of sex that I know of!) we have to start thinking in more creative ways about human sexuality. We should begin by recognizing, as a social fact, the threat posed to men's well-being by strong, independent women. We need to recognize that threat as existing on multiple levels, and deal with it on multiple levels. We need a positive view of human sexuality, one not linked to outmoded social roles and easily avoidable biological consequences, and teach both boys and girls, men and women, about the power they have, and how it should be used creatively and positively; and about the dangers it poses destructively and negatively."

No comments: