Wednesday 10 October 2007

The beauty of morning prayers



This is a daylight picture of the mosque opposite my apartment. There's a night-time photo below of it lit up for Ramadan.

I was a little worried about the noise levels of the 5am prayers, but it was wonderful to hear them floating into my sleep this morning. It was haunting and deeply spiritual: a rhythmic call to the heavens that made god seem very present. It's Ramadan here at the moment and people's faith is very much evident - as the sun sets, everyone turns to food and drink after a day of fasting. Taxi drivers stop in the street to grab a glass of water from the pavement; families gather together around tables set up in public spaces to share their meal together. It is an incredible communal experience.

1 comment:

S. said...

When asked what I miss most about Iran, I said hear the pre-dawn call to prayers...so it was interesting that you should mention this