Wednesday 10 October 2007

A'isha




Ok... I'm truly in love. With a cat. My maternal instincts have been touched - I just want to take photos of A'isha whenever she moves. She's naughty, with a real street-cat attitude - she's continually pouncing on me, my flatmate, and anything else that moves. But isn't she cute???? When I'm on the computer, she finds a bit of my leg to perch on, and then also tries to crawl under the computer and stick her head up between my legs. In the photos here, I have my computer on my lap and she's sitting on my legs. She's like a toddler that needs constant attention... (oh... do I sound like a new mother?? Is this boring to everyone else?? Will this blog become a tribute to a cat? ahhhhhh)
Her name is A'isha, who was a wife of Muhammad.
In the wise words of Wikipedia:
Aisha bint Abi Bakr (Arabic عائشة `ā'isha, "she who lives", also transcribed as A'ishah, Ayesha, 'A'isha, or 'Aisha, Turkish Ayşe, Ottoman Turkish Âişe etc.) was a wife of Muhammad. In Islamic writings, she is thus often referred to by the title "Mother of the Believers" (Arabic: أمّ المؤمنين umm-al-mu'minīn), per the description of Muhammad's wives as "Mothers of Believers" in the Qur'an (33.6), and later, as the the "Mother of the Faithful", as in Qutb's Ma'alim fi al-Tariq (pps6). She is quoted as source for many hadith (traditions about Muhammad's life), with Muhammad's personal life being the topic of most narrations.
Aisha is a controversial figure because of differing portrayals of her in Shia versions of Islamic history and her role in the First Fitna (first Islamic civil war) at the head of an army against Ali ibn Abu Talib in the Battle of Bassorah.

No comments: