Tuesday 9 October 2007

Learning to play chicken on Cairo roads

It's the end of my second full day in Cairo and I'm getting a little more confident at crossing the roads here. I've learned to pick out a strapping man who is also quick on his feet (this is a skill in itself), to position myself on his left-hand side, and to then run across the road when he does.... The traffic is just like this in India, but I'd forgotten how much you take your life into your own hands when you cross these types of roads. You literally have to confidently step out into speeding traffic and dodge around the various layers of oncoming vehicles. If you hesitate at all, then you are lost....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What happened to the Hilton human rights lifestyle? Shouldn't you be looking out for your chauffeur? ;-)

Rebecca said...

hee hee. This was the road I had to cross to GET to the Hilton!! Really. Hiltons are not what they used to be. Where are the moving walkways to transport you from downtown Cairo straight to room 1702? My chauffeur just wasn't up to the job.. I told you to come and drive me around, yelling Lil' Kim out of the window.... Paris Hilton herself would be proud of you for doing that.

Teale said...

Beware - you'll get overly confident with your street-crossing skills and then almost die. Constant vigilance! :)