Monday 29 October 2007

Female Sexuality... part I

I have been thinking a great deal about many universal, age-old topics as I tramp the streets of Cairo. One of these topics is “female sexuality”… who hasn’t written or thought about this?? Living in Cairo, I am experiencing my sexuality in a completely new way. There are many elements of the society here that want me to regard my sexuality as a dangerous and unwelcome force that I need to keep well hidden. Because this is a male-dominated culture, with men crowding the public spaces, my sexuality is seen as a source of public disorder. Men, it seems, are naturally sexual animals and so it is the duty of women to prevent the men from becoming too excited. Yesterday, I wore a t-shirt that was a little more low-cut than usual. No, you could not see a hint of my breasts. But it also wasn’t all the way up to my neck. The hissing from men doubled or trebled. And numerous women also looked at me and my collarbones with disgust. Otherwise, I was wearing a long skirt down to my ankles and my hair was tied back. I wasn’t wearing makeup.
Yes… I know that I am in a foreign culture with strong religious beliefs and, as a visitor, I should show respect for Islamic customs. I wouldn’t wear a short skirt and tank top. And I understand and respect the religious convictions of many people here. But my perspective is not religious because, well, I am not religious. And I can see clearly how sexuality is being used as a source of repression and how, in many ways, women are the more powerful members of society because they are capable of ‘entrancing’ men with their bodies. But because of the male physical strength, the men have taken over the majority of societies in the world and women are forced to ‘regulate’ themselves so that the poor men can cope.
Today I am reading an article about how the Taliban controlled women and the private sphere in Afghanistan. The autobiography of one Afghan woman recounts how: “Women were not allowed to laugh or even speak loudly, because this risked sexually exciting males. High heels were banned because their sound was also declared provocative. Makeup and nail varnish were banned. Women who failed to respect such edicts would be beaten, whipped, or stoned to death.” (From Juan Cole, “The Taliban, Women, and the Hegelian Private Sphere,” 70 Social Research 3 (Fall 2003).)
The Taliban was a particularly oppressive regime with shockingly anachronistic interpretations of Islam. But I can feel the same type of attitude here: that women need to ensure that they are in no way provocative, in order to save the poor men from their sexual urges. On my better days, I feel sorry for the men on the street and pity their need to hiss at me. It’s a pathetic attempt to seem ‘manly.’ On the harder days, I begin to feel their aggressive shouts and stares get under my skin and undermine my strength. Last night, after walking the streets in my shockingly provocative t-shirt (with sleeves and just below the collar-bone), I decided to head to the all-women’s section of the gym and avoid any male attention. Constantly pushing against the male assertions of dominance can get tiring and I needed a few hours to feel comfortable with my body and not feel judged or sexually threatening. But these all-female rooms shouldn’t have to exist… it should be the men who are made to regulate their bodies and potential sexual urges. And it should be the men who are made to feel embarrassed and ashamed if they find themselves incapable of controlling their excitement at the sight of a woman’s body.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

In a follow-up to my comments here, I've just been reading a 2002 interview by the Turkish scholar Nilufer Gole who writes:

The veiling is not only just covering the head; it indicates a way of behavior, which is called to be more modest, more pure -- Puritan maybe -- which means you limit your presence in public life. For instance, the way you look at people. You have to cast down the eyes. The way your body occupies the space in public. That means you shouldn't be too loud -- laughing, for instance. So it means a way of behaving, more modest behavior. It comes from hija, meaning being more cautious, being more modest.

So I think it's not only just a kind of dress code, but a dress code which indicates a set of manners, bodily manners, in relation to the other sex, but in relation also to public behavior. Also, culturally, it means a more civilized behavior -- civilized in the sense that you are more controlled. It's a kind of self-control in public life.

How do men exhibit that self-control?

Through women. That's the interesting thing. That's why veiling is more important than any other thing. But men also have some kind of behavior in conformity with that: segregation of sexes, not trying to go beyond the licit and illicit.


In other words, men control their sexuality through how women restrain themselves?

Yes, especially, but they also have some codes -- dressing codes and so on. But it is basically women who are the markers of this difference and who are the markers of what is to be considered as licit, what is to be considered as illicit; what is private, what is public. So each time I would say it's women's body and it's their cautiousness. It's their way of living in social and public life which marks the boundaries. They are the boundary-setters.

I don't know if it's fair or not, but it can be more stimulating for women sometimes, because for the moment in the Islamist movements, women play a much more central role. So this can be a more subversive role because they are boundary-setters. So that's why we start with veiling.

Forsoothsayer said...

it actually comes from "hagaba" - hide. turks, they think they know arabic.

i'm sorry i had that experience- i obviously dress more revealing that u've just described and don't get all that much more trouble than you. it's worse for the white girls i guess. i have recently learned "street face" - look frightening. look like you won't take shit.

Teale said...

I went to a movie after work one day with a co-worker. We were meeting her fiancee, and even though she was wearing a headscarf, ankle-length skirt and long-sleeved shirt, we had to stop at a shopping center to find little wrist sleeve thingies because she was showing her wrist-bone, and her fiancee 'wouldn't approve.' I understand your angst, but I wonder if you have the same sense that I did: however obnoxious, offensive and downright exhausting the attention is, it's never actually intimidating or scary. CRAZY dynamic, but you seem to be handling it very well. :)

Rebecca said...

Yes, Teale, I totally agree - I don't generally find it intimidating and I'm finding it less and less threatening as I feel more and more sorry for the men. They are sexually repressed and don't know how to handle themselves - or that's what I tell myself at least!
My friend taught me the Arabic expression that bascially translates to "In your dreams." So I'm armed with that comment at least!!
And, forsoothsayer, I've also got a 'street face' that basically consists of the 'listenting to ipod face'. I download BBC newspods every evening and listen to them as i'm walking the streets. It helps block eveything out! But I've actually heard it's worse for Egyptian women in jeans etc than Western/ white women... who knows!! All that's for sure is that the men are a prize pain the arse and need a big dose of maturity! ;-)

Anonymous said...

hey rebecca i appreciate the subject that you are probing with this post. don't you think women dressing more modestly to "protect" men is patronizing to men's strength? men should be responsible for their own thoughts and actions. i like your point in pt 2 about power and vulnerability - i think that is excellent, and very true.

it is funny the other day some young egyptian women (18ish or so - i am 22), conservitively hijab'ed, came up to me and started chatting with me, me with limited arabic. at one point one of them started stroking my beard with her hand telling me "you are beautiful, so beautiful, so very very beautiful" in arabic. as far as i could tell this isn't the normal way for women to relate on the street to men/with touch. i played along because i think it wasn't serious? but i have no idea. it was a funny experience but just adds to the nonsense that is cairo - what are the rules anyway?

found your blog searching for "rain in cairo"

Rebecca said...

Hey Josh...
What are the rules??!! Well.. I'd love to know the answer to that! Attempting to understand the 'rules' between different genders in any society is hard enough. Understanding them in Cairo... you've got me!
I did wonder whether the rules for Western men are different and how they are viewed in the streets here. I've found in many poorer countries that white men are regarded as "good catches" and as people who aren't constrained by the same social rules. I'd love to hear more about other experiences you've had here... I can't believe that you received so much attention! (given the social taboos that supposedly dominate society here).
Of course, it's becoming more and more apparent to me that both the women and the men here are highly confused about sex, gender interaction, how to behave towards each other... (even more confused than in other societies!) I'm beginning to feel more and more sorry for the guys who yell at me in the street because I just don't think they have any outlet for their sexual urges (not that it excuses their behavior - as you say, they should be able to curb their thoughts/ instincts!)
On top of trying to feel less angry towards the guys, I'm also trying to stop any preconceptions coming into my mind when I see a veiled woman. I was talking to one veiled woman tonight who was very open about her sexuality and her obsession with looks and flirting etc. She said that people were shocked because she was happy to talk about sex while also wearing a veil... She was very insistent that Western people in particular overcome their preconceptions and see that veiled women can be sexual, progressive, strong women. Of course, she also admitted that she continually shocked Egyptian men. One man had told her that she would never find a husband and should (quote) "turn to the homos". But I'm going to write a blog entry about this!
Ok... now I'm rambling. I'm curious to know why you were searching for "rain in Cairo". Sounds like a nice topic (but also maybe a dirty one given the pollution here! ;-)