Tuesday 9 October 2007

My new apartment in Zamalek, Cairo




These are some pictures of my new apartment in Zamalek. Zamalek is a small island in Cairo - I'm in the far north of the island, where it meets at a point, so I have the Nile on either side of me! My flatmate (Cristina) and I have a mosque directly opposite our apartment (see photo!) It's all lit up for Ramadan at the moment - I wait to see how well I cope with the 4am daily prayers!
We have the cutest little cat. My flatmate called her "Aisha" - which is the name of one of Mohammed's wives. Some stricter Muslims aren't too happy with this choice of name (one taxi driver shouted at Cristina when he heard the name). But it's a beautiful name... and I'm beginning to learn to pronounce it properly...
Aisha likes to follow us around at all times. She has been collapsing on my computer all night, and then digging her claws into my leg. I hope she'll grow out of this....

No comments: