Wednesday 31 October 2007

Honk, Honk, Honk...

One of the most dominating, never-ending noises in Cairo is the beeping of car horns. At any point in the day or night, you can hear these horns being blasted without regard for the eardrums of the people around. If you are unfortunate enough to be standing directly next to a taxi when it honks, then you are (as I have discovered) temporarily deafened.
But the problem is not so much the trigger(beeping)-happy nature of the taxi drivers, but the nature of the driving. Taxis and cars just stop (or break down) anywhere. If they decide that they want to look at something, say hello to a friend, drop off a customer... then they stop. It doesn't matter if this means that a junction is blocked. Nor does it matter if they are in the middle of the road.
But, while I understand the need for the honking, I'm wondering if there is a quieter, more communally-minded solution. Maybe there is a way of quietly administering a very small electric shock to the driver who pays no heed to the flow of traffic? I'm talking very very small, of course., and this shouldn't necessarily apply to the people who break down.. but at least then my dreams wouldn't be full of honks and beeps, and I wouldn't find myself suffering temporary deafness when I walk the streets.
(Yes... I see all sorts of potential human rights abuses arising from this electic shock solution... but there must be some way of administering it in a fair and equitable manner ;-)).

No comments: