Thursday 15 November 2007

Burmese Embassy - down with the junta.


When I was walking past the Burmese Embassy on the way home the other night, I notice this posting on the outside wall. The junta's oppression of the Burmese people is horrific. I wrote a report on the conditions inside Burma last year and talked with over 20 Burmese democracy activists who lived in Thailand, the US and the UK. I deeply admired their own self-sacrifice and that of their friends who remained inside Burma. This notice declares that the monks who recently demonstrated against the junta had "perverted" and sullied their religion by mixing it with politics. It makes me so angry to read this notice and know that hundreds of Burmese activists are rotting away in jail simply because they want freedom of expression and open elections. Whenever I walk past the Burmese Embassy, I think about these brave activists and pray that the junta will somehow be removed so that the Burmese people can emerge from the terrible oppression, poverty and fear that currently rule their lives.

No comments: