Friday 28 March 2008

Back on my blog... and Oman!


It has been a while since I last wrote on this blog… sorry! But because I know it’s a good way to stay in touch with my friends, I’m going to post entries again – make sure you let me know what you think/ what you’re up to/ how you are!

I’m writing this from Oman. I’m here on a holiday with matt cipolla, a friend from Harvard Law School. This time last year we were in Papua New Guinea together… we like to choose odd places to visit!
My first impression of Oman (or the capital Muscat to be exact) was that it is clean and organized. After Cairo, it’s incredible to be able to breathe deeply and not choke!! I was also struck immediately by how many Indian people are living here. It reminds me of my days living in Nepal/ India. When I arrived last night, I could smell the curry and spices. And there were Indian men and women out walking vigorously, arms swinging, saris flowing. I’ve yet to see Egyptians out walking in this way – mainly because most people would get an asthma attack within 10 minutes (I’ve tried running around Zamalek and every time I wish I’d just stayed on the couch and eaten ice-cream..). It’s also striking that every man is wearing a white galabeya with a hat/ headscarf. There is much less western dress amongst the Omanis compared to the Egyptians. A man from the reception took pity on me this afternoon (I’m here alone at the moment until Matt arrives in a few hours). He gave me a lift to my new hotel and it was such a surreal experience! He was wearing a white galabeya and hat, but also Armani shades. He had a cowboy boot key-chain ring and house music was blasting from his stereo. So many contrasts!!
But I do miss Egypt and it’s chaos… I took our rental car out tonight to buy some dinner and did a somewhat illegal U-turn in the middle of the road. In Egypt, this would be a matter-of-course. Everyone everywhere is breaking the rules of the road (just do it quickly and honk a lot…that’s what I’ve learned while driving in Cairo). But I was told off here by a taxi driver who pulled up next to me… The roads are actually organized and smooth-running here!! It’s a shock to the system! I’ve become somewhat addicted to making up the road rules as I go along..

Matt is currently stuck in Kuwait but I am excited for him to get here so we can start exploring. There are mountains to see – and deserts and turtle-nesting spots (one of the biggest in the world). I’d just better obey the road rules!!
View blog top tags

2 comments:

Teresa said...

It's great to see your blog up and running again - looking forward to the photos that I'm sure will be appearing soon! Oman sounds fascinating, and I think having to obey 'road rules' can only be a good exercise for such a cavalier of the highways... love you. xx

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the GPS, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://gps-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.